Before actually being chartered, the 1st meeting of the Delco Chapter of the Barbershop
Harmony Society (BHS) was held on April 12, 1954 and was sponsored by the BHS Philadelphia
chapter. There were 30 men in attendance.
The DelChordians received their charter on January 10, 1955. With John Peterson as their first
Chapter Director they grew to 41 members.
Just ten months later, In October of the following year, John Peterson led The DelChordians to
take 2nd place among 20 choruses in the District. By this time membership grew to over 60 men.
By the following year, on June 3, 1956, The DelChordians took FIRST PLACE in the entire
By February of 1962 The DelChordians had grown to 95 members strong. They sponsored
another new chapter. The "North Pennsmen" in the Souderton-Lansdale area.
In 1964 Mr Dick Olsen, who was an engineer for "Catalytic International" by trade, joined the
Delchordians and they were 110 members strong. Mr Olsen is still with us today.
Among the original 41 Charter Members were Bill Burger and Don Lenz.
Bill passed away on October 9th 2011 but Don is still with The DelChordians today. The echo of
Bill Burger's golden mellow baritone voice seems to still be heard when the halls of our rehearsal
are quite. Jack Lawler is our current Chapter President.
Currently we are located in Broomall, PA. on Sproul Road near West Chester Pike.
Our directors are Phil Lieggi assisted by Ken Lammy and Norm Brown.
We hold rehearsals every Monday evening in the basement of St. Marks Church between the
hours of 7:15pm to 9:30pm.
Mailing Address: Delco Chapter BHS
PO Box 961
Broomall, PA. 19008
Chapter Main Phone: 610-990-5277